YOUR FREE ONLINE COURSE SCIENCE OF DIVING SSI
Start now your online free course Science of Diving
Get your free online Science of Diving course. It collects all the theory of recreational diving in a detailed and interactive way.
Knowing the reason of the things you do by knowing the risks and the safety procedures is essential to guarantee that your dives will be safe and fun.
Do you want to expand your knowledge about your great passion? Are you thinking of starting your career as a diving professional?
DIVING SCIENCE SPECIALTY IS WHAT YOU NEED!
This program is often neglected by non-professional divers as it is a theoretical course that apparently does not provide a direct benefit.
However, it´s an indispensable course for all levels, a specialty program that all divers should consider to take.
As we all know, diving is a fun and enjoyable activity but it is not a risk-free activity.
After all, we are not even in an environment where we can survive on our own. We´ll always need specific a equipment and very specific security guidelines.
When time passes, it is easy to forget some fundamental concepts or even to confuse them with each other, especially if we have not thought about them for a while.
What is decompression sickness?
Why can’t I fly after diving?
Does diving with Nitrox allows me to dive deeper?
Why are you having troubles with controlling your buoyancy in unexpected moments?
What was Dalton’s Law?…
With your free SSI Diving Science course you will find all the answers to your questions and many others that surely you had not even asked to yourself.
This program covers all aspects of diving theory in a detailed and extensive way: physics, physiology, decompression theory, marine wildlife and diving equipment.
In addition, this program is a requirement to become a diving professional (DiveMaster, Dive Guide, Instructor) and for some technical diving or Extended Range programs.
Everything you learn will help you to understand and enjoy each of your dives even more.
SECTION 1: DIVING PHYSICS
The underwater world has always had a special fascination for human beings. The effects of the underwater environment on the human body as well as the equipment used require the application of physics.
Therefore, the more prepared you are to apply physics to the underwater environment, the more prepared you will be for any situation that may arise. In this first chapter of your Free Diving Science course you will study the following sections:
- The principles of physics
- Measurements used in physics and their conversions
- Gases related to diving
- Gas laws
- Buoyancy & Archimedes’ Principle
- Air consumption formulas
- Energy in the underwater environment
SECTION 2: Diving Physiology
Since some of the physiological effects are dangerous, it is important to know why the standards exist and the reasons for establishing safety margins.
The reason for this chapter is you to be more responsible, safe and fun, but always while managing risk.In this chapter you will discover why barotraumatisms happen, how to prevent them, what are their symptoms and how to treat them.
- Physiological parameters and limitations to dive safety
- Physiological effect on humans underwater
- Theoretical foundations of underwater physiology
- Prevention of diving maladies
- Symptoms of diving maladies
- Corrective actions necessary to stop, prevent and or reverse potential harm to the diver
SECTION 3: DECOMPRESSION THEORY
In the previous chapter, we talk about how the body absorbs and eliminates nitrogen, and how decompression sickness occurs. All this information can be reduced to three concepts: depth, time and rate of ascent.
Dive tables and computers will simply tell you how long you can stay underwater at different depths and how to safely return to the surface.
There are other factors besides depth and time control. For example, decompression models have been developed for use at sea level.
What happens when you dive at altitude and the atmospheric pressure is less than 1 bar?
What happens when you dive and then fly or drive with reduced atmospheric pressure?
What about decompression diving?
You may have already realized that controlling nitrogen absorption is one of the most important things a diver should do, and that’s why you will learn to:
- Explain the application of the Theory of Decompression
- List the different situations that challenge the Theory of Decompression
SECTION 4: DIVING EQUIPMENT
An important part of every diving course is equipment training. In fact, in diving teaching, in which you can participate someday, evolved from the need to inform users of how to use diving equipment safely.
But this whole chapter is not about training, it’s about you. The most important thing about the equipment and, especially, owning your equipment means comfort and safety in your diving adventures. The most comfortable, convenient and pleasant way to dive is with the proper equipment.
As you become more familiar with your equipment, your skill level will increase and your stress level will decrease – diving will become more enjoyable.In this chapter you will learn about:
- The importance of the equipment in the comfort and safety of the diver
- The evolution of dive equipment
- Fundamental characteristics of each part of the Total Diving System
SECTION 5: THE AQUATIC ENVIRONMENT
For your safety and enjoyment, you should be able to properly assess the water conditions. A deep knowledge of oceanography is essential for the committed diver. This knowledge should be used on each dive:
- Describe what is involved in diving oceanography
- Understand the origin of waves, tides and currents and their impact on diving
- List various species of aquatic life
- Recognize the injuries that can occur when diving
- Describe proper first aid techniques
IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT DOING THE SSI DIVING SCIENCE COURSE IT IS BECAUSE YOU REALLY PASSIONATE THIS ACTIVITY.
At our dive center, Tenerife Dive Experience, we are specialized in providing high-quality diving training. We adapt our courses to each student and further expand the knowledge of the program, giving it added value that you will not find in books.
We believe in active learning, in which the student reasons and develops the concepts with the instructor’s guidance. We will not limit ourselves to giving you a theory class while you observe us and take notes.
We will put your knowledge into practice, for you to develop it and expand the information on those aspects that most attract your attention.
In the same way, if your intention is to become a diving professional, we will provide you with the guidelines to start thinking as such.
Get the most out of your course with a personalized program!
THE COURSE HAS NO DEADLINES. YOU CAN DO IT WHEN AND HOW YOU GET ORGANIZED.
The Science of Diving specialty is a perfect winter specialty, since no dives are necessary. Currently you have three ways to carry out this program due to the current situation:
- Online mode without classes (free). This alternative is completely free if booked before June 30, 2020. It would include access to the MySSI platform, digital manuals, online exam, a review tutorial with one of our instructors and the SSI Science of Diving certification. We offer the possibility of doing the Science of Diving course for free precisely because it is an important program. Paradoxically, it is a course that many divers have not heard of, unless they are interested in a professional career in the world of diving. The Science of Diving course should be a must for every explorer of the deep. We are divers, we do not want to stay on the surface, right?
- Online with videoconference classes. This modality is designed for those people who want to get the most out of the program. In addition to all of the above, you will have a professional instructor who will give you personalized classes and a videoconference exam. The classes would be private although it is possible that two people decide to attend a class together to share the expenses. We highly recommend this alternative as it is a dense and complex course. It is important to internalize the concepts and not to form erroneous beliefs that can put us at risk. We are not talking about a course in which the important thing is to pass and have the certification in your pocket.If you decide to do this course take your time to internalize the knowledge that it provides and relate it to your experience as a diver. Enjoy studying and research, draw your own conclusions and become a better diver.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THE SSI DIGITAL LEARNING SYSTEM?
- REMOTE REGISTRATION AND PERSONAL DEVICES: The sale and registration of all SSI programs can be done online or by phone, and can be completed on your mobile, tablet or computer. The theoretical part can be taught online and studied at home, while water training can be done later.
- GREAT FLEXIBILITY: Learn anytime, anywhere. Study from the comfort of your home and at your own pace. In this time of social estrangement, stay digitally connected. Your training center is available to help you with whatever you need. Call or contact them by email if you have any questions about your training.
- 24 H. ACCESS: Class is available 24 hours a day, every day of the week. Access your favorite training program from your computer, tablet or mobile and choose from more than 40 languages. You can also download your training materials to your mobile devices through the MySSI app and access your program whenever and wherever you want, even if you don’t have an internet connection.
- QUALITY MATERIALS: SSI was the first to join the digital revolution and today remains a market leader. But that’s not all! Diving and training methods evolve and we continue to lead the way in the implementation of technological strategies. We make sure that you have access to the most modern and up-to-date training materials, always at the forefront of this sector.
THE REQUIREMENTS TO TAKE THE SSI DIVING SCIENCE COURSE ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Be a qualified diver by a recognized agency. Even if you are not an SSI diver, if you have your Open Water Diver certification of any dive certifier (such as PADI, FEDAS…)you can take this course off.
- Minimum age to perform the SSI “Diving Science” program is 10 years. Minors between the ages of 10 and 11 will receive the “Junior Diving Science” certification. When you turn 12, your certification will be automatically upgraded to “Diving Science”, just as it will with your “Open Water Junior” certification.
To obtain your Diving Science certification and complete your course successfully you must comply with the following sections.
- Complete your SSI profile with your personal data (including address and photograph) and send us signed and completed forms.
- Study the chapters of the theory and approve the evaluations of each chapter.
- Pass a final test test with a minimum score of 80% if it is by videoconference or 100% if you do it self-taught on the platform.
- Contact us in order to conduct the review session and we process your certification.
Please, feel free to contact us and ask us to know more about the different alternatives to take your Free Diving Science course with SSI.
Ask us without obligation about this program or for those other courses that you have always wanted to start but for those you have never taken time.